Topband: My old 160 antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: My old 160 antenna
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:29:31 -0500
Thinking about different 160 antennas makes me reflect on one I had
back in northern Illinois in 94-95; I had a Heights aluminum fold
over tower around 110' to the top where there were a 10, 15 & 20 KLM
5 element monobanders. I didn't have enough property available to run
out a good number of radials for the low bands so instead I made a
pair of Shortened Delta loops connected at the apex and fed in the
center. these were oriented N-S and E-W and were held off the tower
by long ceramic standoffs.

I ran a vertical stub held around 8" off the tower & around 10' long
as a gamma from the feed point. At the feed point I had a vacuum
variable around 500 pF . Attached to the vacuum variable was a servo,
and in the shack was the matching servo. What made it especially nice
was the 1:1 I would get at the feed point across the band. I was only
able to run it for a season till I had to relocate but it really
worked well.

I was new to 160 at that time and up till then I'd made only a few
160M contacts using random wire & a tuner. Fun the things you
experiment with that work out well.

73,

Gary
KA1J