Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Foreign stns using NA remotes for K1N
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 10:51:41 -0500

"It is not about remote technology or use of or for DXCC, it is the change
into a enterprise carrier service $/min or $/KW. "

Now, extrapolate the RHR business model to hundreds of similar paid remote services, all competing for customers to access what has been free spectrum regulated by the FCC (at least here in the U.S.) In a sense, and to JC's point, it's the start of a commercial common-carrier network.

I'm sure you realize this, because people just never complain without actually knowing how things really work, but RHR isn't the only site. There are a dozen others, and some are completely free and unsupervised.

RHR is the only site I know of that is monitored, requires an agreement to follow rules, limits or does not allow out of country log ins, requires a password, and is logged by user name and log in IP.

My brain might working a little funny, but I logically think, instead of all the whining and worry about RHR, someone would be a tiny bit concerned about the completely free access to radios, granted to anyone anywhere in the world, without any type of logging or control, that already exists.

But then I suppose someone wanting to cheat would rather get a password, sign an agreement, be monitored, and pay a per minute fee for a logged controlled site, rather than using one of a dozen unmonitored free Internet sites with no logging.

That would probably be human nature, to pay to be watched and restricted, and even getting a ghost IP to use with a stolen log in and password, to do something unethical.

73 Tom