Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: HVDC

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, topband@contesting.com, Ws9v <ws9v@royell.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: HVDC
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:50:56 -0800
I would suspect that a DC HV line operator will pay A LOT of attention to any arcing from what I've seen of HV DC arcs. Once the ionization gets established and metal ions vaporized from the terminals get flowing it avalanches until the protection circuits act. Small AC arcs are much different which leads to less interest in finding/fixing them. The couple 100KV AC HV line near my QTH is pretty quiet. Lot's of rain keeps the insulators pretty clean although noise does come up a bit when some get wet.

Near my prior Bay Area QTH, PG&E helicopters washed the insulators a couple of times a year as dust would accumulate on them and cause problems, 380KV I think. Having had many passenger hours in a Jet Ranger, it seems to me totally crazy operating one 20' from an energized line. However, I didn't get to see a "HOT" repair via copter, only on youtube:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A86.J7ugXtpUk3gAaJUnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTB0c2puYm1xBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwM18x?p=youtube+hV+transmission+line+service&tnr=21&vid=1269A35510213E2488651269A35510213E248865&l=191&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.608005122890599086%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11rpbep1v&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSkFH8lLvKZ0&sigr=11bgcu5vs&tt=b&tit=High+Voltage+Line+maintained+via+Helicopter&sigt=11b303tp7&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dyoutube%2BhV%2Btransmission%2Bline%2Bservice%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla&sigb=13ger94lf&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Makes free climbing look completely safe.

Grant KZ1W