Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Radial Plate Designs

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Radial Plate Designs
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:07:47 -0500
"Those Hammy Hambone radial plates I have seen advertised are considerably
more expensive than a handful of silver brazing rods and a Mapp gas outfit."

Don,

All good points. A few weeks back, there was a discussion here about the virtues of using MAPP gas or acetylene with silver brazing rods. I agree that the currently available radial plates are inferior to a ring composed of brazed silver-solder connections.

However, if a plate is used, a two-hole lug offers many mechanical and electrical advantages over the single hole type, but: (1) the 2-hole lug cost is a significant limiting factor; and (2) no matter how good the bolted connection, over time it will be inferior to a brazed bond. Between the cost of a new plate design and say...a bag of 100 2-hole lugs, bolts, washers, and nuts, the cost will easily exceed a brazed grounding system of the type you discussed.

Paul, W9AC