Re: Topband: TI9/3Z9DX, etc.

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TI9/3Z9DX, etc.
From: Jeff Wilson <jjw5257@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 16:58:09 +0000 (UTC)
Wow!  I guess I also have to thank Mike W0BTU for my TI9/3Z9DX contact. Doing a
SO160(A) for DXing only I thought they would be 160 during the contest and it
would be impossible to break the inevitable pile up.  Didn't know about this
sked, but I set my rig on 1.844 up 1 split and was hopefully listening to the
noise and QSB on my South Beverage for about 40 min while doing a linux
installation on my old WinXP machine.  Then at 0300 things started happening
and at 0303 I heard my call clearly returned after 4 or 5 calls...got up and
jumped around the room!  And now I have my OQRS QSL on the way for number 122,
all with low power.   That is the fun of Top Band for me!  Though I wish there
were fewer alligators...but totally understandable.

As for all the angst over remote operation and the death of ham radio etc., I
think there are too many A types out there where winning is everything and they
find no fun in the chase.  Contesting gives me a rush, but I only compete with
myself and if I cheated for a contact (the evil remote thread) I only cheat
myself and there would be no jumping with joy!  I had no problem with what K4VV
did....not the same thing at all.  Life is too short to worry about changing
technology...just do what you want...accept or move on to something
else.....QRP anyone?

CheersJeff VE3CV

Message: 3