Re: Topband: Brave New World

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Brave New World
From: kolson@rcn.com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:59:41 -0500 (EST)

Actually Jim old boy, I have. I have been a Frankford RC member for 43 years
and have operated from many M/M and M/S stations both in the US and as DX.
I have a good idea what goes into it and have helped troubleshoot problems, fix
rigs and amps and helped with antennas (from the ground as I get a nosebleed
when I stand on a chair, LOL) from various of those stations. I know and have
worked with W2VJN who I would say knows a bit about interstation interference,
hi hi. I have never built a M/M myself as I don't have the QTH, resources or
inclination. Certainly, it's a lot of work and remoting it makes things that
much more difficult (though that's much easier now than it was, say, 15 years
ago).

What's sad in my view, is that in my M/M and M/S experiences, one of the
greatest parts was getting together with the ops I was friends with that, due
to time, distance or both, I didn't get to see much. The contest was fun, but
the comradery was even more so. Just like when you ask most retired Major
League players what they miss most, it is the locker room and their
ex-teammates.

I work in audio myself at CBS-TV in NYC in a television (audio and video)
network studio and distribution facility, so I have a bit of an idea what is
involved to design a complex facility :)

And I make my own cables, thank you.

Best, Kevin K3OX