Re: Topband: Remotes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Remotes
From: "Mel Crichton" <kj9c@iquest.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:37:26 -0000
For a number of reasons, I operate my regular Indiana QTH from here in Montana. Here we have CCRs that limit me to very low invisible stealth antennas and fewer bands, and being surrounded by mountains 2000 to 5000 feet higher does not help. So for DXCC purposes and for 160 meters I am in Indiana and give the QTH as IN. Since I started DXCC from Indiana years ago, I use the IN station to work new ones (only 5 to go). It's the same rig and antennas that I used to get this far in DXCC.

When I do operate from Montana, puny signal that it is, it's for contests and CW Ops events (but no 160 meters here).... and I hand out MT as the state and make a few folks happy for a new multiplier (if they can hear me).

There's no question where I am in LOTW.... there's a log for each location, and I keep them separate. A ham checking LOTW for WAS will see our qso in the correct state.

If remote operators take a few extra steps so there is no question as to their STATION location, the system works. However, I too have heard from very strong signals on 160 the wrong time of day without "/" identifiers. I'd guess that these folks would have cheated regardless of ARRL's actions.

Mel KJ9C