Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling "Ground" and losses
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 10:39:53 -0500
The source of the r-f current flowing on buried radials is the r-f current flowing in the earth as a result of radiation from the vertical monopole. (etc)

It seems to me that answer ignores other effects.

1.) If we remove the earth, the radials still have current.

Yes, but then the origin of that current is via a direct, metallic path back to the 2nd terminal of the source (transmitter), using either balanced or coaxial transmission line.

I doubt any system is 100% pure with a boundary condition like a hard switch.

Dirt is not the same everywhere, even at one location. It probably is almost never the same at the surface as it is a few inches down.

Arbitrarily declaring the method current gets into the wire is a single method determined entirely by contact or no contact is completely illogical.

The feedpoint connection, in all cases of vertical antennas, whether the system is shunt fed or series fed, or even if it is an end-fed half wave, ties one feed terminal to the ground or counterpoise system. It has to be that way, and the current out into that counterpoise (whatever the counterpoise is) has to be equal to the common mode current at the junction flowing up into the radiator.

It can't be any other way.

Contact with the earth isn't like suddenly flipping a light switch, where all of a sudden all of the current is magically "collected" from the dirt all around the antenna, and then moving the wire .000001 wavelengths up suddenly flips the switch the other way.

The only true case I can think of where virtually all of the current is returned from the soil would be where the radial wire is buried several soil skin depths below the surface. We can certainly have creative license to **say** it is collected from the soil for any buried radial, but it pretty clearly isn't factual unless the wire is infinitely deep in the soil so far as skin depth goes.

73 Tom