Topband: BROKEN DIPOLE

To: <alfeohjt@tin.it>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BROKEN DIPOLE
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 09:03:56 -0400
Hi Alfeo

On top band we use a inverted L and on 80m a vertical with a parasite
reflector.We have the feeling that ous signal is strong enough <<

I appreciate your effort on 160m, actually I am following you on you ban DX
expeditions for few years and one thing I noticed is the lack of signal on
160m. Let me do a constructive comment about this kind of TX antenna.

I don't know where this thing started. A low inverted V is a very poor TX
antenna, but the current is at the maximum high above ground, now if one leg
get broken and the fed line is heavy and also drops to the ground, you got a
broken antenna and someone called inverted "L". IT IS A BROQUEN DIPOLE, IT
DOES NOT WORK.

To be an inverted "L' it needs a ground plane or a connection with the
ground, Elevated radial starts with 4 resonant radials , 3 does not work, 2
does not work and 1 does not work at all.

I've seen several DX expedition wasting a lot of time on TOP BAND calling a
broken dipole as inverted L. It needs a ground plane.

As an example, I remember two DX expedition on the same area South Africa
that had very poor performance on 160m using this broken dipole, and at the
same  time DJ7RJ was on 160m from a nearby country and his signal was always
good and easy to copy. Maybe  Willi have the secret TX antenna that's work.

73.s
JC
N4IS