Re: Topband: verticals by the sea

To: "'Mike Smith VE9AA'" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: verticals by the sea
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 19:15:24 -0400
Mike

An Inverted V does have the same lobe horizontal and vertical but they are
90 degree apart, If you run EZENEC and change description option to Ver.
Hor. and Total field, you will see that at 0 degree Horizontal is maximum
and Vertical is zero, at 45 degree both fields are the same, and at 90
degree Horizontal is zero and Vertical is max. However close to good ground
the horizontal signals is attenuated so in practice the inverted V near the
see will radiate only vertical in the direction of the wire.

Better solution is a vertical with the radial inside the salt water., just
toss few feet of wire inside the water, more is always better, the
electrical contact with the salt water is the key point here. The wire will
break , keep adding some more every day. You can check the TX3A antenna
document from AA7JV,  it has an elegant using a T vertical vertical.

http://www.tx3a.com/equipment.html

73's
JC
N4IS