Topband: BOG antennas again

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BOG antennas again
From: "K1FZ-Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 14:45:46 -0400

I receive questions from those who try for direct comparisons to a Beverage
antenna. There are a few that have put the time in to find how the BOG antenna
works. K2AV, Guy also has taken time to get the facts.
Because of the closeness to the earth, the BOG velocity factor is often below
.5   This can result in  overall lengths of  ~ 200 feet.

My latest BOG is a two wire, two direction  with 200 feet of wire. the best,
(excellent), F/B  when first installed was at low end of 160 meters.

Now in the 2015 springtime, after a tough winter, the best front to back is in
the upper Broadcast Band. There is one frequencies where  I can get two radio
stations, out in the clear, just by switching to the opposite direction.

The reason my BOG frequency went down in frequency is the large amount of
vegetation  packed down by the near record amount of snow, has lowered the
velocity factor.
The only question is now,   do I shorten the BOG  wire, or just pull up 200
feet up out of the vegetation ?

73,
Bruce-K1FZ
www.qsl.net/k1fz/bogantennanotes/index.html