Re: Topband: RX antenna pattern

To: <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antenna pattern
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:24:45 -0400
Near field patterns have almost nothing to do with far field patterns, so that would be a great deal of walking and require a pretty sensitive instrument. To be in the area where the pattern is reasonably formed, a person would have to be at least a wavelength and at least 5-10 times the physical area of the antenna away from the antenna, whichever is greatest.

For example, my transmitting four square on 160 has not reasonably formed a consistent pattern until I am out about 2500 feet. A small loop stabilizes at about a wavelength.

I'd expect the BOG  to approach the distance of the four square.

There are two reasons for this. One is the induction fields have not been fully dominated by the radiation field until near a wavelength for a very small antenna. The other reason is to form the pattern, the sense antenna and measured antenna have to be so far apart that all radiating areas of each antenna appear to originate from a single point in space.

If it doesn't look almost like a single point for both the sense and main antennas, the pattern won't be the actual pattern.

The way you get around this is to add a dielectric sheath in the model, like wire insulation, that slows the wave like ground would. Then, if you match the current levels and phase, you will pretty much get the correct pattern.

When I was working with slow wave antennas, I measured phase shift and currents and adjusted the model to match the antenna. If you do that, it doesn't matter if the wire is above earth in the model. It comes out a close match.

Otherwise, be prepared to drive a few miles while confirming pattern.  :)

----- Original Message ----- From: "K1FZ-Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>