Re: Topband: A Bit Off Topic

To: "'Mike Waters'" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A Bit Off Topic
From: "Charles Cu nningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 17:06:53 -0400

Well, a few things to keep in mind, Mike:

.        Each time an MOV breaks down, Its breakdown voltage decreases a
little, taking its break down voltage closer to the peak voltage of the line
cycles.

.        Regarding ground rods - if the ground rods take lightning strikes,
the soil around the ground rod can "glassify" become glass from the heat of
the lightning surges. As the soil  glassifies, the rod is then surrounded by
an INSULTOR -  making it rather ineffective. It can be a pain, but it's
worth checking ground rods from time-to-time for degradation. A network of
multiple gro und rods can reduce the tendency to glassify the soil
surrounding the the ground rods because of the reduced current in each rod.
In very sandy soil, ground rods often need t go VERY DEEP!  20' or more!!
Many of the ground rods used by utility companies are designed with threaded
ends, to one can drive say 10' of rod, and then use a coupler to add another
10' and then repeat if necessary. I once watched a utility guy down in the
"sandhills" of NC crack the ground  rod through the grass surface with the
"slam-pipe" and then literally PUSH the rod down 10' with his GLOVED HANDS!
He THEN ADDES ANOTHER 10' of rod.  I don't know whe he might have reached
the water table or bedrock!

.        In keeping with Tom's remarks, the meter-base suppressors ARE
common-mode surpressors that sit directly across the 240 volt line phases
with a direct common-mode ground return.

GL!

73,

Charlie, K4OTV