Re: Topband: Video Switch for Low Band Antenna switching

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Video Switch for Low Band Antenna switching
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 16:54:25 -0400
I've used the K9AY pushbutton RX select switches at W3LPL and they are a
very fine ergonomic solution. Definitely prefer the pushbuttons to rotary
switches.

At home I use footswitches for 1-of-4 RX direction selection on 160M. Very
easy for me to cycle multiple directions after each CQ. Two feet gets me to
4 directions, I don't know that I'd be able to grow the last foot to help
with an 8-circle, but that doesn't matter because I do not have room in the
yard for an 8-circle :-)

One mistake I've made a couple times is changing transmit direction switch,
while transmitting. This was especially likely while I was trying to do 2
different receive antennas or having a conversation with others in the
shack. Didn't blow anything up but maybe I was just lucky! A slight
evolution would be a pushbutton transmit direction selector, that would
lock out direction changes while transmitting (or the other way around).

160M in a big DX-only contest requires much less antenna switching, than a
contest where there are many domestic callers worth points as well as the
DX.

Tim N3QE