Topband: more on DXCC remotes

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: more on DXCC remotes
From: JAYB1943@OPTONLINE.NET
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 19:36:28 -0400
I have sent the following to my ARRL Director:

Hi Mike – I don’t think we really can’t deny the advance of technology...in
fact, traditionally, hams have always been in the forefront of new technical
developments. Personal specific actions by the individual ham operator to
accomplish the QSO has always been the gold standard of a valid QSO....I’ll
explain that: it has always been acceptable to be a “guest” operator at
someone else’s shack and work a “new one” for DXCC as long as the operator
claiming the QSO was in control of the station at the time of the contact.
It has also long been acceptable for a station owner/operator to control
their station remotely via the telephone lines, VHF link or other means and
claim DXCC credits from the fixed station’s country location. So logically,
a remote-operated “guest” station should probably be considered no more than
a combination of 2 long-established acceptable practices.
One can make the argument that operator of the rented-remote station has a
major advantage over most of the rest of us because they can afford to pay
the bill...but that has always been the case. Hams with extra $$ to spend on
the hobby for new radios, higher towers and bigger antennas have always had
an advantage over most of us and always will !!
In the end, I see no objection to using remotely controlled stations
(personal, loaned or rented) for DXCC credits as long as the station
properly identifies its call letters and country location. I also don’t
believe these stations should have to operate in a different class for DX
contests...the “guest” stations and the owned-remote stations always
competed in the standard classes; why change it now ?
As an aside, I did sign up for a 24 hour trial with one of the rental remote
stations...worked a few DX stations but found it somewhat personally
unsatisfying..was “too easy” – and – I kept thinking about what is was
COSTING me to just tune around the bands !! I would like to achieve DX Honor
Roll one of these days but I will do it with my usual 100w and wire antennas
or not at all....just have to live long enough !!
   73, Jay NY2NY (ex-K2OVS)
        DXCC – 335 countries + 9 Band DXCC + 1850 Challenge pts.....and...
some QSOs were at “guest” stations, I do admit !!

Hello,

Next week, the Board of Directors will be holding their second meeting
of the year.  One of the topics up for discussion is the recent change
in DXCC rules, particularly as to the use of remote operations for DXCC
credit.

I would be interested in knowing what you, the ARRL member, feel about
the rules for DXCC.  In particular, I would like to know what your
opinion is regarding crediting (for awards) DX contacts made by remote
control operations, be they through self owned or rented stations.

I would be also be interested in your experiences if you have operated
remotely in chasing DX for DXCC credit.

If you have any other items of interest, please also let me know.

Thank you.

73 de Mike N2YBB