Re: Topband: HMC580 instead of W7IUV preamp

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>, "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: HMC580 instead of W7IUV preamp
From: "Andrew Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:04:43 +0100
Rick N6RK Wrote Sept 9.

Snip<I've characterized this device and can tell you that the 1/f
corner is well below 2 MHz, because it is based on HBT
technology.  The devices that are good at VHF and noisy
at 2 MHz use MOSFET, GaAsFET, or ephemt technology.
JFET devices are also low noise at 2 MHz if they have a sufficiently
low channel resistance.>

Both amps, being single ended are likely to be susceptible to second order IMD from BC AM band Tx. Whether one would notice much difference with a amp. with a less than 1dB NF versus the above mentioned types with higher NFs is debatable. The reason I say this is; is that the Flag has a high NF due to its termination resistance. With other antenna types the noise due to the loss resistance is a minute fraction of the antenna impedance. Hence, this noise resistance is mismatch to amp. input z. For example a very low noise JFet amp. (Wellbrook ALA100LN) when terminated with a loop antenna will provide a 6-8dB lower noise floor compared to the amp. being terminated with a resistance equal to its input z.

73

Andrew Ikin

G8LUG