Re: Topband: Mr. good Ears ! VK2KRR

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Mr. good Ears ! VK2KRR
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:48:37 -0500
I believe that whenever possible, the use of JT65 should be discouraged in
favor of JT9 on HF and *especially* 160.

JT65 is an EME mode and below 15 meters, it is INFERIOR to JT9 as Jim
pointed out.

Last time I listened on HF (forget where, some band between 15m to 80m)
that portion of the band was completely full of JT-65 signals. JT9 is slow
to catch on.

Here's what JT himself says at
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html :

" ... JT65 was designed for EME (“moonbounce”) on the VHF/UHF bands ... in
contrast, JT9 is optimized for HF and lower frequencies.
JT9 is about 2 dB more sensitive than JT65A while using less than 10% of
the bandwidth.
...  A 2 kHz slice of spectrum is essentially full when occupied by ten
JT65 signals.  As many as 100 JT9 signals can fit into the same space,
without overlap. ..."

I certainly look forward to a little JT9 and WSPR on 160m later on.

I'm glad this thread got started, because I believed that at least 100W was
needed for JT9 or WSPR for that kind of distance on 160 in order to get
through the lightning QRN. Apparently not.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com