Re: Topband: Reversebeacon S/N interpretation

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Reversebeacon S/N interpretation
From: Cormac Gebruers <ei4hq.mail@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 18:10:30 +0100
Greetings,

I worked NO3M... OK, OK, NO3M worked me ;-) at 0537z on 2015/09/17. Given
this discussion I thought I'd add my ha'penny's worth as grist to the "how
in goodness name does topband actually work" connundrum; that morning NO3M
was the *only* non local EU station I heard and the only station I worked.
He was quiet with me but steady, no noticeable QSB. As there was nothing
else about (no offence to my local topband neighbours in G, F, ON etc.), I
listened to him for a while (10 minutes or so) and the signal was quite
consistent here in IO51. Local sunsrise was at 0610z and if I recall (I
really have to start keeping more detailed notes), he then disappeared,
about 20 minutes before my sunrise...

I was running 100w into a battle creek special (without the 40m trap,
vertical element 53' high, reasonable ground system) and listening on it as
well as my K9AY was in a heap on the deck being reconditioned and my
beverages weren't (and aren't) yet up and running...

--
Regards
Cormac, EI4HQ