Re: Topband: RFI and lots of it

Subject: Re: Topband: RFI and lots of it
From: Art Snapper <art@nk8x.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:50:47 -0400
I ran into a rather odd source of RFI, possibly common mode.
I had 2 transformer type Astron power supplies in the ham shack.
One was a 15 amp desktop type, the other a 35 amp rackmount unit.
My observation is that when both were on, a buzz was detectable on various
frequencies in the 160 band. If either was off, the buzz was gone.
Removing the 15 amp supply, and wiring everything to the 35 amp supply
corrected that problem.
I'm not sure if there was some interaction between the transformers, a
ground loop, or something else was going on.

Art NK8X