Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:24:26 -0400
Everything you do properly to reduce the chance of common mode noise being conducted into the house will also reduce RF feedback, power line fault damage, and lightning damage risks.

Even if it makes no difference in noise, it pays back in increased safety.

This house had expensive lightning protectors on the power line at the service head, but the only ground was a cast iron pipe with a loose rusty steel clamp. I threw the surge supressors away when I upgraded things over 15 years ago. Despite adding towers that get hit quite often (a few times a month in thunderstorm seasons), I never lose anything. Not even a modem.

The only common damages are meleted cables and wires outside the buildings, but nothing can prevent that.