Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it

To: "Brad Rehm" <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RFI - and lots of it
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:12:13 -0400
Way back in the '90s, when I served on the SAE automotive RF immunity and
emissions (EMI & EMR) committees, questions about why we have negative-lead
fuses in ham radio gear came up from time to time.  (Many of us on the
committees were hams.)  The reason we were given is that there was a
scenario in which the negative battery lead ground failed, and the radio
negative became the best path to ground for the starter motor, particularly
if the radio negative was screwed to the negative battery post.  In
retrospect, this seems far-fetched, but the OEMs don't like to hear stories about electrical fires in their vehicles, so somehow, this was communicated
to the radio manufacturers, and negative-lead fuses became the rule.

Any good connection to the chassis anywhere on a unibody vehicle is far better than a connection to a battery negative. Motorola is smart enough to tell installers to ground to the chassis, not the battery. In the UK the directive is to use the chassis or a manufacturer supplied terminal, and it specifically prohibits connecting to the battery negative pole.

The negative fuse is just foolishness. If it opens, all the radio current goes through small wiring. If the fuse opens, there goes the radio or something connected to the radio via a port. All of the radio current will go through some small wire.

My shop bench radio has an open foil on the CW key line and the mic because of a fuse holder failure, and that isn't the first radio that has that happen. :)

The entire problem centers around use of the battery pole or battery connector as a source, and this carries over into our station desks. There is a ground loop similar to that in a car created between the power line ground, the power supply case, the negative lead, and the radio chassis back to ground. As in the car, if this stuff was built or wired correctly, the 12V bus would only be grounded at one point and there would be no negative fuse.

In our houses, many of the problems blamed on RF feedback are actually ground loops caused by grounded cabinets common to negatives and voltage drops on negative leads.

At least some places in Europe got their together and banned battery negative connections because of the hazards.

73 Tom