Re: Topband: Why do rodents eat coax?

To: "'Dave Olean'" <k1whs@metrocast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Why do rodents eat coax?
From: "N5PA" <n5pa@n5pa.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 15:42:32 -0600
Dave:

I have problems with squirrels and rats at my farm with the wiring systems
on my tractors.  They chew the wire up to sharpen their teeth.  I know you
cannot do this for a thousand foot run, but what I did to keep them away
from the wiring harnesses I put a bag of moth balls in the electrical
compartment behind the dashboard of all three of my tractors.  I had to
replace the wiring harness on my Massey-Ferguson 471 last year and it was
$2,800 to replace it.  I have not had any more problems with rodents of any
kind since putting the moth balls out.  It also keeps the wasps and bees
from building nests in there, also.  I know in some states it is illegal to
use moth balls, though.  But as I said, I do not think it would work outside
in that big of an area.  I have had problems with moles eating through my
buried coax and rotator control cables before and I ended up putting it in
PVC.  I have a couple of pecan trees and a lot of oak trees at the farm near
my 160 meter Windom and so far they have not damaged that antenna.  I have a
friend north of Jackson and the squirrels eat through his dipole antennas
all the time.  Another ham friend here in town sets out traps for them and
then hauls them off to the National Forest and lets them go.  That is a
never ending battle, though.  The problem I have with Beverages are deer.
Tree limbs are a big problem, also.

73,
Alan, N5PA