Re: Topband: Evolution

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Evolution
From: Eric NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 12:37:34 -0500
Thanks to all the topbanders that had a listen on 630M this weekend.

Unfortunately, Part 5 U.S. experimental stations can only QSO with other Part 5 stations, so crossband QSOs would be prohibited. But, since the VEs have an Amateur allocation already, it's "ham to ham".

The list of beacon stations heard here: WH2XHA (PA), WG2XKA (VT), WD2XSH/31 (VA), WG2XSB (MA), WH2XIL (MA)

QSOs: WG2XIQ (TX), WD2XSH/37 (MA), WD2XSH/12 (CO), VE7SL (BC)

Others QRV but not heard: WD2XSH/20 (N6LF, OR), WG2XSV, other VE7s, VO1NA

There were a number of additional stations active and more CW activity last year. I should note that the WD2XSH/31 CW beacon in VA on 477.9 kHz runs 24/7.

I caught VE7SL on 473.0 kHz while tuning the band and completed a crossband QSO at 0527z. His signals were solid copy for a short while, then faded out. It was the only time over the evening / morning that I heard any of the VE7s.

Recording of VE7SL after our QSO:

http://no3m.net/uploads/VE7SL-NO3M-2015-11-15-0527z.mp3

Recording of VE7SL last year:

http://no3m.net/uploads/VE7SL-NO3M-2014-11-01-0435z.mp3

Maybe another activity night can be planned for January or February.

73 Eric NO3M / WG2XJM