Re: Topband: fixing beverage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: fixing beverage
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:49:18 -0400
Jorge,

1. Measure the wire resistance in respect to ground and it should show
   a resistance a little bit higher than your termination value. This
   will check for breaks in the wire,
2. Put a temporary termination on the end of the coax (any convenient
   value) and measure it at the shack end.
3. Check both sides of the beverage box with an ohm meter and you
   should see only a few ohms on both sides.
4. Put a 450 ohm resistor across the Beverage side of the transformer
   and check from the shack with a  MFJ-259 for SWR.
5. If you don't have a MFJ 259 or equivalent try running 1 watt RF out
   the cable and check the VSWR at the shack. (Most boxes with take a
   couple of watts for a few seonds assuming you have a 2 watt resistor
   across the Beverage side terminals.
6. Pull the wire out of the weeds.☺

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ