Re: Topband: Vertical Antenna on a cliff above the Sea

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical Antenna on a cliff above the Sea
From: Ashton Lee <ashton.r.lee@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 09:11:08 -0700
I have a small cabin and station on a mountain top. My experience is that
horizontal antennas set right at a cliff face act as if they are much higher
than their towers… to the point that real towers are pretty counter productive.
Verticals act as if they are elevated 400 feet in the air (which id close to
being on salt water… and in your case they would be). I have modeled but not
built antennas that go down the slope. Personally I would do as I have done…
put the best vertical you can at the cliff line and run your radials down the
cliff. For higher bands just put antennas on 20-30 food supports right at the
cliff face.