Re: Topband: 160M EWE Problems

To: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M EWE Problems
From: Mark K3MSB <mark.k3msb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 18:41:11 -0500
Bjorn, Tim:

Thanks for your comments.

I don't have much time to play with the antennas until the weekend, but I
did manage to hook up an SWR Analyzer.  The analyzer says 1.5:1 at 1820 Kc
(35 ohms R).   So, there is an antenna out there.

A need to clarify that the noise level is the same between the INV-L and
EWE when I use the EWE preamp.   Without the preamp on, the EWE noise level
is almost nonexistent.

A did notice something.  With the coax cables on my other HF antennas, when
I unscrew the shield connector and break shield contact the noise rises
significantly but goes to nothing when the shield is screwed back on.  This
does NOT happen when I disconnect / reconnect the PL-259 shield connector
on the cable.

Re-orienting the EWE to be "in front" of the INV-L isn't possible right  (I
have only an acre).   What I may do is take down the EWE and put it up in
the front yard where it will point N/S.   I really would like the EWE for
EU DX,  but if it's not working, then a N/S attempt may be in order.

73 Mark K3MSB