Re: Topband: QRP

To: "160" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:22:16 -0500
The thing about QRP is that the guy on the other
end of the QSO from the station receiving the
award does the heavy lifting.  A more impressive
achievement would be to work QRP stations in
100 countries.  (A sort of "reverse QRP").

I agree with that. Virtually zero QRP stations I've worked were using exceptional antennas. As a matter of fact they very rarely have fairly good antennas, like 1/4 wave verticals or inverted L's with large ground systems out in the clear.

I remember in the middle of a contest having two or three operators on headphones trying to dig out a guy running something like 200 microwatts to a 20 foot high dipole. It took ten minutes, and should have been worth twice as much as a Mongolian station. He was actually much weaker than JT1CO. :)