Topband: G10, GPO3 was Re: rohn insulators

Subject: Topband: G10, GPO3 was Re: rohn insulators
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 08:57:18 -0500
I notice that the G10 insulators I have made (wire insulators, turned or
cut on my crude home tools... I don't have a tower!) start out "G10 green"
but then turn brown after a few years in the weather. I suspect this is UV
although I cannot rule out cut fiber ends absorbing something (moisture?)
and then turning brown. It seems somewhat worse at the rough cuts I have
made than on the "shiny from factory" surfaces although both turn brown.
This browning never happens in indoor G10 applications.

Is this entirely cosmetic?

I really like G10 as a material in the workshop because it combines
toughness with being easy to work (especially the ability to punch holes in
thin sheets.)

I have also been using the red GPO3 Electrical Fiberglass in indoor HV
applications, it is a very nice material but wears the heck out of saws or
drills that are not carbide. I might try some outside.

Tim N3QE