Topband: directional receive and contests

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: directional receive and contests
From: "K1FZ-Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:30:36 -0500

Early in 1925  Radio Corporation of America station 1XAO had one near 10 mile long wave antenna.  In 1926 they had three spaced 6 miles each. Harold H. Beverage discovered diversity reception when switching between antennas. When the signal was fading on one, it could be peaking on another.   AT&T Houlton, Maine used four for trans-Atlantic reception.  Above gain, better antenna patterns, QSB was minimized.

http://www.state.me.us/newsletter/dec2003/radio_free_belfast_maine.htm

73

Bruce-k1fz