Re: Topband: Received Signal Strengths

To: "Steve Flood" <kk7uv@bresnan.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Received Signal Strengths
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 12:16:06 -0500
marks on a rubber band.

Great analogy Tom. If I were truthful with the signal reports for most of
the topband DX worked here, using the S-meter with RX loops, I would be
sending "209".

I don't know how to really express it, but our S meters have index marks that say the same thing but all read (because of many variables) different things.

It's like have voltmeters where on some meters 1 volt is .529 volts and on others one volt is 8.7 volts. It isn't just the receiver (which are poor enough), it is the IF filter, local noise, antenna gain, and everything else.

If we dispense with the S meter and go by ear, it can get even worse. I don't anyone who can listen to a receiver without looking at an S meter and tell levels from one through nine based on sound.

Why anyone would criticize other people or contests for something we should all know is either next to meaningless at worse, or cannot ever be accurate at best, is beyond my comprehension.

If you like the guy, give him an S9. If you don't, tell him he is S1.