Re: Topband: Ground Screen Question

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Screen Question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 23:22:08 -0500
There is considerable confusion here with respect to radial systems for antennas and an earth connection for lightning protection. They are VERY different, and both are important. Properly bonded conductors buried in concrete ARE acceptable as a ground for lightning protection -- it's called a Ufer ground, after Herbert Ufer who developed the concept, and it's now recognized in the National Electric Code. A Ufer ground works because 1) concrete is conductive and 2) there is a large surface area in contact with the earth. The downside is that the earth it makes contact with is near the surface.

Like ALL earth electrodes, it must be bonded to all other grounds in your home -- power system, Telco, CATV, your shack, and all driven rods.

I think Bob is on a pretty good track with his design.

I concur with Jim. Properly bonded into a proper ground system, it will actually make the system safer and might even help for RF.

The key word here is PROPER. Integrated into an improper system or connected wrong, it might not be a good idea at all.

It has to be bonded into the mains ground and all other grounds, and those grounds have to be good.