Re: Topband: 4 square

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 4 square
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 15:40:28 +0000
> Even so the odd Dec/Jan thunderstorm can cause a problem so I have a supply
> of 450 ohm resistors of the type recommended on this reflector, on hand for
> quick repairs! The maintenance never ends! Steve, NN4T

Get some gas tubes from Mouser.  I use 652-2049-12-BT1LF.  62 cents each last
time I ordered about a year ago.
Any surges are shorted around the device (resistor or transformer).  The gas
tubes have no effect whatsoever on the normal operation.
Simply connect one across your terminating resistor, and one across the fed end
wouldn't hurt either.

The maintenance won't end, but the maintenance due to lightning induced surges
will.  No, they won't protect against a direct hit on the Beverage, but then
you would have to find the 500 feet of wire first !

Rick  K2XT