Topband: Neutralizing your 833As

To: Dave Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Topband: Neutralizing your 833As
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 19:02:09 -0600
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice! What you describe below is an improved version of
what I had planned to do.

I'm likely over-thinking this. Much ado about nothing, as the old saying
goes. I've been accused of doing that before on this amp project (and he
was right. :-)  Let me elaborate a little on what my concern is.

I don't think I ever drew a schematic of the PA grid and plate circuits,
but I'll try and describe the important details, leaving out things like
the grid biasing arrangement, RF chokes, DC blocking capacitors, the TO-220
swamping resistor string, circuit protection, etc.).

1. There is no tuned grid circuit. (If there was, it would be simple to
neutralize!)
2. There's a 200 ohm 100w non-inductive swamping resistor between the grid
and ground.
3. From the grid to ground is the 200 ohm secondary of the input
transformer.
4. The input is the 50 ohm primary of that transformer.

Here's the idea I had in mind, good or bad: Add a tertiary (third) winding
to that input matching transformer --grounded at one end-- to obtain the
voltage for neutralizing. The other end would be in series with an air
variable (already have that)* and a fixed capacitor connected directly to
the anodes.

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but what I expect is too much or too little
feedback voltage

*Photos of the neut cap is at
www.w0btu.com/files/misc/833C_linear_amplifier/?C=M;O=D
neut-cap_5445.JPG and neut-cap_5444.JPG

The reason for the fixed capacitor between the anodes and the variable
capacitor I mentioned was to reduce the chances of the air variable arcing
over, which would be catastrophic. That concept is

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com