Re: Topband: CW160

To: Gary@ka1j.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CW160
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 13:30:27 -0500
This is only part of it.

Just one example from a few years ago in a 160 contest;  There was a very
loud station in the Caribean, and he was running EU, and doing quite well.
Many NA stations calling him - he was 20 over S9, and deaf as a post.
Later on, he was like S3, and running NA like mad!  The secret?  His
beverages work very well!

Last night, I was having trouble hearing stations from the west coast, but
things got better later on.  I am pretty sure I worked some QRP guys, but
even some QRO guys were a tough go.  We tend to assume  symmetrical
propagation, but I am sure that is not always the case.  From past
experience - in the ARRL DX on 20 meters for example,  I have worked some
very loud QRP stations (or they at least claim to be running QRP), and
working some QRO stations can be difficult.  I am sure we have all seen the
same on 160 in some cases.

Hang in there.  Many of the "easy" Q's are out of the way, and you should
have better luck in the pileups, now that they should be thinned out a
bit.  Last, but not least - QRP has to be tough in any contest.  160
especially so.  But - if it wasn't a challenge, folks would not be doing it.

Tom - VE3CX

This
email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by Avast.
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>