Re: Topband: Ground screen ????

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground screen ????
From: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 11:02:46 -0500
Galvanized Fe material is problematic from an R standpoint as well (vs. Cu). This results in a "lossy" ground plane. That condition has real impact the effectiveness of the antenna system, when compared to an all-Cu (or at least a lower-R metal) plane.

Immediately perceived consequence of the poor inter-section bonds is walking VSWR, but other factors (including rad efficiency) are also walking around.

Bonding of dissimilar metals (Cu <-> Fe) requires careful method consideration to hold corrosion at bay. Whatever scheme is used to connect to this ground plane should keep that in mind.

The PIM issue was rightly treated from a TX standpoint by KZ1W. However, the PIM issue /may/ be more salient from an RX standpoint -- not necessarily as coherent intermod from surrounding transmitters per se, but rather as perceived as elevated RX noise. Inv.L over a sectioned-Fe-plane-counterpoise may make a markedly worse RX antenna than the same Inv.L over a modest, well-constructed Cu plane. The local ambient noise environment will be a factor in the magnitude of noise contribution from this issue (might be quiet vs. power lines, for instance). Certianly, one will want to investigate alternative RX antennae anyway.

I don't feel as though lightning protection is any bit a "more-complicated" an issue here; bonding the coax with a good low-Z method to earth before it enters the shack is an important first step. Including good common-mode elimination at the feedpoint should increase protection to some degree as well. There are methods beyond these steps -- situation-dependent -- which may help further reduce risk. Risk /reduction/ is all we can do in this department anyway....

All the problems in mind, a metal roof is better than no ground plane at all. It's not an ideal situation by any means, but armed with the sound knowledge presented in this thread, I would not be "above" of employing just such a scheme if:
-  I were severely limited in land space,
- had a means of separate RX aerial operation,
- a willingness to forget tuner settings often for a given F(x), and
- a BIG bug bite for low band operation!

73,

  - Josh / KF4YLM