Topband: WWROF Webinar - High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot

To: Ken Claerbout <k4zw@verizon.net>, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: WWROF Webinar - High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 17:21:23 -0800
Great presentation!  It inspires a question about detuning a vertical:

The goal is to reduce noise and any pattern distortion in my receive 4 sq (DXEng) which is about 200' from my transmit vertical.

My 160m transmit antenna is a 75' vertical T with 8x 125' radials 8-10' above ground. I've positioned the radials a bit asymmetrical to maximize separation to the 4sq. I can detune the antenna to a 2.3Mhz resonance with a 300pf series capacitor. Is that sufficient or do I need to do something to the radials? Is there a better way to detune it?

The 4sq shows excellent directivity on 80m, 5+ S units on a 756PIII. With a 70' baseline I expect less directivity on 160m but not nada which seemed the case in the SSB contest last week.

Grant KZ1W