Topband: FW: UN-REAL AND THE REAL WORLD 2016 FOR HAM RADIO

To: "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: FW: UN-REAL AND THE REAL WORLD 2016 FOR HAM RADIO
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:04:12 -0500
Hi Don

>>Because it's amplitude is time varying, aluminum or any other metal can
>>provide an effective shield based on the skin effect principal (you just have
>>to factor in the resistivity of the material and operating frequency to
>>determine how thick the material must be to become an effective shield).<<

I think my preamplifier does not agree much with that. My PC LCD monitor screen
was causing several noises I could hear on 160m and actually I could see them
on the SDR waterfall. When I put the preamp inside a galvanized steel box all
that crap coming from my PC and PC LCD monitor just vanished, the box was open
in one side and not grounded.

The preamp was inside a TIM PLATE BOX used for EME shield with feedthrough
capacitor and chokes, but the steel galvanized box improved the shield a lot.

1.8 MHz is quite a different band.

73’s

JC

N4IS