Re: [RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660

To: Ed Hare <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:35:56 -0500
As a utility RFI Investigator, I am always polite when speaking with
complainants. However, I typically ignore any specific pole references they
provide. In my experience this information is 99% wrong.

If the complainant wants to provide specific location information, I
usually ask that they not tell me until I've performed my own search. Then
we compare notes/results. I'm never wrong. They, on the other hand, usually
are.

While I appreciate the efforts of those who accurately locate sources, it
is not required by my employer. Instead I am expected to do my own searches
and do as many as needed to fully resolve all sources found that affect the
complainant.

We eliminate the sources that originate from our facilities and assist as
much as possible when the source is owned by a third party. The limits of
the additional assistance are an entirely different subject thanks mostly
to the potential for litigation.

If a complainant told me that he determined the precise location of a
source from his desk without ever stepping outside, I would thank them for
the info but never use it.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility RFI Investigator