Re: Topband: A 160m Noise problem

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: A 160m Noise problem
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 15:22:42 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ed,

Its very suspicious that your RFI peaks right at 1820 kHz.
Can you hear the RFI on your transmitting antenna?
Can you hear the RFI on a portable receiver placed immediately
adjacent to your 4-square elements?

With your radio set to AM mode, does the RFI sound like
white noise, with no trace of an AC buzz sound? D oes the RFI
have any other observable characteristic on your panadapter
other than the spectral shape you already described?

As you mentioned, DC and RF are a serious problems if
water or any other contaminant is present in the connectors
or any other place where both RF and DC are present. Just to
be sure, suggest you disconnect the four Hi-Z elements and
reconnect them one at a time and observe to results on your
panadapter.

I had a very similar problem a few months ago that turned
to be a malfunctioning 10 watt Highway Information
Service transmitter on 1700 kHz.

Good luck

73
Frank