Re: Topband: Stew -vs- 3DA0CC

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew -vs- 3DA0CC
From: Charlie <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:16:41 -0500
Ken, I second your comment commending Arunas and Ark for their efforts at C9
and 3DA0.

Last night when they were on earlier at 1820.3, there was much QRM from the
contest.  If there was any prop to my QTH, their signal could not be detected.
 Later when Arunas came up on 1815.8, the contest QRM was not a factor at all,
even though for much of the night I could not hear them.

Every night they were on from C9 or 3DA0, I was in the chair listening.  There
was some light copy from C9, but not enough signal to overcome my persistent
local powerline noise.  Same for 3DA0, except for a brief period around 0254
UTC.  They came up enough to where I felt some repetitive calls were justified;
I was reasonably confident if they answered me or someone else, I could copy
the response.  This turned out to be the case, although their signal was just
out of my local noise.  I was getting discouraged after missing 7P8 and C9
because of this ongoing noise situation, so it was very gratifying to get
3DA0IJ in the log.

Last fall I invested in a portable 1 MHz to 1 Ghz receiver and a dual band
144/432 MHZ  yagi.   Prior to calling the power company for help, considerable
time was spent with this equipment locating the four offending noise sources.
In November the power company engineer visited my QTH, and I provided a Google
map with the offending poles identified, spectrum displays of the noise, plus I
actually identified the noise for the engineer on the portable receiver.  He
promised to bring a crew out and deal with it.  Here it is mid-March and no
power company help has been forthcoming.   Now that winter is behind us (I
hope), it is now time to start complaining.

I am not optimistic about VK0 and FT4/J but will be in the chair listening.  Of
the recent expeditions needed on Topband, we have only missed logging 7P8 and
C9 so there is some hope.

I have an NCC-1 DXE box and it works great, but when there is more than one
noise source active at one time, you are out of luck.

Thanks to Arunas for the new one!

73 Charlie N8RR