Topband: Was: Handheld Impedance Analyzer

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Subject: Topband: Was: Handheld Impedance Analyzer
From: Tod <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 08:33:19 -0600
I am in complete agreement with Guy.

I have been using the AIM 4170 for at least five years and now have replaced it
with the VNA 2180. Absolute overkill, but I tell myself I 'need' it because I
want to build some filters, some single band antenna matching networks and some
common mode chokes. Besides, I feel I am a better judge of how to spend money
than my children are, so as a favor to them so I had better spent it now
instead of leaving them a problem.

Characterizing the feedline from your station to the antenna feed point Is very
straight forward with these instruments. That should eliminate tower climbing
after the initial measurements calibration is done on the feed line from the
station to the feed point.

After you get this equipment, and you start measuring everything you can think
of, spend a few minutes saying, "what difference does it make".

If you  have been smart enough to install relatively low loss feed line, the
additional loss associated with a 4:1 SWR  simply will not add enough
additional loss to justify much beyond an L network in series with the feed
line to assure that the transmitter is happy with the load it is sending power
to. One setting of the L network is probably sufficient for providing a good
load for the whole band. If not, use one for CW and another for SSB. Simply
relay switch between them and forget the expensive remote tuners.

Resonance is totally unimportant as far as emission of RF is concerned. If you
put power into the antenna system it will either be radiated or heat stuff up.
Just use big enough components so that the loss in them is small compared to
power being radiated! It probably is a good idea to check out the design so you
don't have very high circulating currents in the L network tuners. Low Q will
help here.

Tod, K0TO

Sent from my iPhone 6