Re: Topband: 2 element vertical for 80m with 1/8wavelength spacing

To: "jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu" <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>, 'topband' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 2 element vertical for 80m with 1/8wavelength spacing
From: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 00:40:53 +0000
John and fellow Topbanders

I'm running a similar setup...and have my two 65' verticals spaced at 71'.  I
have custom matching circuits that allow me to use the verticals on 160m
(inductively base-loaded) at 1/8 wl spacing...80m (1/4 wl tall) at 1/4 wl
spacing...and 40m (1/2wl tall) at 1/2 wl spacing.

The antenna is basically OMNI directional on 160 but offers up to 20db F/B on
80 @ 3-4db gain and even larger F/B and gain in 40.

Each vertical is aluminum tubing tapering from 4" at the base to 1" at the top
and sits above 100 radials.

Don, AE7H, was kind enough to send over schematics and magazine articles
featuring the "Elsie Phaser"...that implements a variable capacitor, a variable
inductor and a DPDT relay.  He claims big F/B and gain when tuned vs the
traditional delay line approach that's featured in John's (ON4UN) book.  I'm
eager to get moving on that project and have it ready for the coming DX season.
 Contact me if you'd like details on this gadget.

I love the "tri-band" antenna and maintaining it involves much less drama than
the two element 75m yagi I had at 95'.

73

Carl AG6X