Re: Topband: The band sans noise

Subject: Re: Topband: The band sans noise
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:01:43 -0500
I forget what the Pixel Loop looks like. But if it's anything like a tuned,
link-coupled circular loop in the vertical plane with a 20 dB preamp at the
loop, it will have two very deep nulls at a very low angle.

I made three like that ~35 years ago, between 1 and 4 feet in diameter,
made from small coax and two different sizes of CATV hardline. They worked
fantastic for nulling out a single, local noise source! But they were
worthless for incoming sky wave signals, exactly like the models show.

1. What does the Pixel Loop do better than these and other loops?
2. What does the Pixel Loop's preamp do to improve the S/N ratio???
3. And what IS its RDF?

The preamp I used is described here:
www.w0btu.com/W0BTU-broadband-preamps.html

73, Mike