Topband: feedline choke distance from Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: feedline choke distance from Beverage
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:08:18 -0400
Hi all,

I have a DXE feedline choke that?s been sitting in my parts box for years
and I thought I?d install it on my Beverage feedline. The antenna is about
530-feet long, dual wire, dual direction. I use it mostly on 160 and 80,
though it works to some extent on 40 and 20.

I?m not clear on the recommended distance the choke should be from the
antenna feedpoint. DXE?s instructions say 15-30 feet. Other sources indicate
¼-wavelength. Still other sources seem to indicate it should be at the
feedpoint. All the sources indicate it needs a separate ground rod.

>From a practical standpoint, I can install the choke 0-10 feet from the
feedpoint, or anywhere from about 54-feet from the feedpoint all the way to
the shack entry, which is about 125 feet from the antenna (the feedline runs
along the house foundation from 54-feet to the shack entry.) The only place
I can?t put it is between 10-feet and 54-feet from the feedpoint, where it
crosses the front lawn. Well, I could install it in that area, but would
have to bury the choke , which doesn?t seem like a good idea!

I?d appreciate any advice/recommendations on where to put the choke.

Thanks & 73,

Dick WC1M