Re: Topband: WD-1 Wire impedance

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: WD-1 Wire impedance
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:38:08 -0400
The impedance of WD-1A is supposed to be around 70 ohms as most telephone wire is. The DXE boxes are designed for 450 ohms so these boxes are probably not the best choice for

WD1A. DXE does now have the boxes for WD-1 at a reasonable price but without the switching which will require two RG-6 feed-lines. I prefer this anyway because in my case with the DXE 450 boxes the switching DC voltage seems to attract a zillion ants which somehow got into the box and their excrement destroyed the PC board inside. I still use both the WD-1A boxes and the DXE boxes for their respective antenna cable which are easily modified (even though DXE will not share the schematic...a bummer). I found the design on line anyway before it was made proprietary. It is simple to make your own schematic because it is not that complicated. In short taking the relay feature out on the DXE boxes and using equal length of 1/2 wave RG-6U the needed terminations is provided at my shack with a passive 12 channel Panasonic TV video feature that terminates all the Beverage feed-lines that aren't in use. These passive video switchers are very inexpensive on eBay and normally require only F connector to PL-259 adapters or in my case the one I am using has BNC connectors which makes it easier to remove the Beveridge feed lines as is needed.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ