Re: Topband: Soldering radials?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Soldering radials?
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 07:16:09 -1000
I had soldering problems here in the salt air until I switched to
no lead plumbers solder and pure resin flux.  have not had a problem
since,   I have radials and connections over 7 years old that
are in great shape,  exposed to the elements.
YMMV
73 Merv K9FD/KH6

I'd like to get the latest thinking from the group
on soldering radials.  What I currently thinking
is as follows:

SOLDER SELECTION:

1.  Tin lead doesn't hold up in the weather.

2.  "Stay Brite" 3% silver solder (97% tin,
no lead) is known to work well, but is expensive,
and has a considerably higher melting point
than 63/37.

3.  Lead free plumber's solder obviously works
in water pipes, but does it hold up outdoors
in the rain?  What is the melting point?

FLUX SELECTION:

1.  Pure rosin.  Hardest to work with, but minimum
corrosion issues.

2.  Activated rosin.  Easier to work with.  What
corrosion issues are there?

3.  Acid core plumber's flux.  Very easy to work
with, very corrosive.  Does this hold up in the
rain, etc?

(I remember the dire warnings that Heathkit manuals
had about not using acid core solder, but I
guess that doesn't apply to radials.)

CRIMPING?

Has anyone tried crimping as an alternative to solder?

Rick
N6RK
.