Re: Topband: Traditional or off-center fed 160m vertical design?

To: "Robert Fanfant" <rfanfant@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Traditional or off-center fed 160m vertical design?
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 14:23:13 -0000
Have a look at this idea:
http://www.m0rzf.co.uk/ants1/

This is an off centre fed but your normal feeder is connected to the end of the antenna via a choke. I've made several of the 40m version and 3 using double the sizes for 80m. I used simpler chokes for both and measured common mode currents to ensure it worked as an inverted L with no ground radials. This is a variant of the sleeve dipole or "end fed dipole" often used at VHF and above.

I and a friend are now making one for 160m but with a different choke and balun suitable for the band. The Ruthroff will be about twice as long and the choke will be on #31 core.

Give it some thought; it seems to me you have the facility (height) to make a good one, whereas we are very much restricted in height.

My keenness for this idea is that radiation to the ground is minimised because the real feedpoint is several metres in the air at the junction with the Ruthroff. In my case I've arranged the transmitter attachment (end connection) to be at ground level where the choke is grounded to minimise common mode current back to the tx.

In my tests on the 80m version, I can reasonably estimate losses at about 5%, most of which is in the choke (a #43 with 16 turns of thin PTFE coax). I used air tests with several precision thermistors and in pure water as a calorimeter test running 100W. With suitable rating core and coax I don't see why it shouldn't run at your legal limit.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Fanfant" <rfanfant@hotmail.com>