Topband: Measuring a Beverage with an AIM4170 in TDR mode - Images

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Measuring a Beverage with an AIM4170 in TDR mode - Images
From: Eduardo Araujo via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 23:39:00 +0000 (UTC)
Even though I answered to all request for the images via direct mails, thanks
to Steve N2IC and Sam N5FO both images are now uploaded for better sharing.
As a reminder of my previous update, the scans were done from the beginning of
the coax and they show the coax, the transformer and the beverage itself up to
the termination resistor, also it can be seen the 2.5/3 mts vertical wire going
from the transformer at ground level to the horizontal beverage wire. The
AIM4170 was calibrated to 50 ohms but we use 75 ohms coax.
The image named as "broken beverage" shows at least 3 problems in the antenna
and feed-line
1 - There was water in the coax in the last meter close to the transformer2 -
There were many leaves of fresh vegetation touching the beverage for the first
32 mts approximately.3 - One of the beverage support had fallen and the antenna
wire was touching the ground for many meters
http://tinyurl.com/jd5hn95 ;(broken beverage)

http://tinyurl.com/zhyeyy7 ;(beverage fixed)

The second image represent the scan done when all 3 detected problems were fixed
I also have scans after each individual problem was fixed, but for simplicity I
think the 2 images are representatives
Finally, If well it is true I did this with AIM4170 and TDR function, I think
it could also be done with any other TDR tool.
Perhaps the pending question is: how much impact could have had this problems
in beverage overall performance
'73..... Eddie, LU2DKT