Re: Topband: Inverted L Radials

To: james soto <kp2bh@yahoo.com>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L Radials
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 16:53:53 -0800
As you were disconnecting the radials the ground losses were increasing until it got to enough ohms and you had a good match at 50ohms.

My 160 T matches 25 ohms 1.12:1 at 1812Khz and is fed with a 50:25 transmission line transformer. With 8x 125' elevated radials the N6LF research shows I have fairly low ground losses.

As I added radials, I tracked my swr and it steadily decreased, pretty much asymptotic to 25 ohms. Different L or T geometries will yield different resonant impedances, but most will be well less than the full 1/4 wavelength 36 ohms. With an analyzer you could measure the Z as you reconnect radials and learn a lot about your antenna SYSTEM.

TLT's are winners IMO for matching resonant antennas, wide bandwidths ,very low losses, and essentially no sensitivity to the environment.

Grant KZ1W