Re: Topband: Epsom salts & Rx Antennas

To: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Epsom salts & Rx Antennas
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 13:08:24 -0500
Lee & all,

My soil is very poor for ground, Where I
needed to set the HI-Z 8 element pro up is
right on top of a glacial Moraine and the
rocks are a barrier to pounding any ground
rod in more than a foot or more. I was
able to get them in enough to support the
antennas but every attempt was met with a
boulder under the thin earth that stopped
me from going deeper. I had asked here
about Epsom Salts as an adjunct to getting
a better ground for these Rx antennas. Lee
had some suggestions regarding my adding
radials (see his suggestions below) Here
are my results:

I cut 4 22' wires from WD-1A wire for each
of the 8 elements, I was able to get two
pairs of those wires into one ring
terminal, using two terminals for 4 wires.
I placed them N-S-E-W and I used these in
the contest last night. Since I don't have
a way to A>B them with/without the radials
I can't speak with certainty how they
helped as conditions always change.

That said; the effect of these radials
appeared to be significant in the way the
antennas worked. I found I could often
find a null where I could completely wipe
out a signal from a specific geographic
region and I was able to focus on a
desired signal with far less background
noise.

I'm running QRP so my hearing somebody
doesn't mean they can hear me but last
night I was able to hear far more DX than
I was able to work. Using the 8 Element
Pro I was able to isolate many of those
stations and even though they couldn't
hear me, I could often isolate their
signals from those calling them
(frustrating as I have an amp sitting
cold, next to me). Very nice Rx on this
end.

This is different than what I usually
find; I have always found the S/N improved
with the array but I have experienced
nowhere near as much isolation and
rejection. The radials surely were worth
the effort to put them on. I might
consider adding four more to make 8 as Lee
suggested below but at this moment, I am
very impressed with how much of a
difference four radials per antenna made.

Good luck in the contest and thanks to
those who have struggled to hear me.

73,

Gary